Translate

Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Power of Love against the Power of the Sword (Mark 14:43-52)



Immediately, while he was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, came—and with him a multitude with swords and clubs, from the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders. Now he who betrayed him had given them a sign, saying, “Whomever I will kiss, that is he. Seize him, and lead him away safely.” When he had come, immediately he came to him, and said, “Rabbi! Rabbi!” and kissed him. They laid their hands on him, and seized him.  (14:43-46)

Facing adversity is one thing, facing betrayal is different. When Judas betrayed me, he was someone who stayed with me for years, listening to me, eating with me, spending time with me. I did notice his lack of commitment, I did ask the Father why he had led me to take Judas as one of the twelve. In some ways, it was key for me to model the path to God, because you also will face betrayal in your life, and the Father wanted me to show the way in this so painful and difficult domain. Judas did make his choices, and no rationalizing can remove his guilt, that is why I said that it would have been better for him not to be born. He would not be one of these seeds that go deep in the good soil and bring fruit, but the thorns of pride and greed choked my word in him. He even went to betray me with a kiss, the ultimate betrayal. 

But a certain one of those who stood by drew his sword, and struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear. Jesus answered them, “Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to seize me? I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and you didn’t arrest me. But this is so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled.” (14:48-49)

When Peter saw that, he got burning with anger, took his sword and cut off the ear of the high priest, trying to fight for me. Peter was not a swordsman, and I was so grateful that he did not kill one of the servants, it would have just added to the challenging repentance he would have to go through. I could stop Peter and even heal this cut ear. 
I did not focus on Judas, who had chosen the path of betrayal, but I rather focused and Peter and my other disciples, to allow them to go and be ready for my resurrection. 
When you learn to follow us, when you listen to me and obey my directions, you welcome the truth in you and you become really free. This means that even in painful situations you will experience this freedom, even in prison. No prison cell will be able to capture your heart and spirit, no confinement will be able to snatch you away from my hand or from my Father’s hand. 
They did not surprise me, the Father had prepared me for what Judas would do. Instead of focusing on the painful moment, the Father helped me to see the big picture, to realize that much good would come out of it. The most challenging moment, this night of agonizing prayer at Gethsemane, gave me the renewed confidence and peace that I needed for the coming hours. 
I could even address Judas and those with him in a calm and clear way. They felt all ashamed, because they acted during the night out of fear. In fact, they were fearing me, fearing the impact I could have on a crowd. 
Instead of trying to rally others to fight for me, which I could have done, I simply let my disciples go and flee. I could have asked for angels to come fight for me, but this was not the plan of the Father, he had a better plan, a much better plan. This plan had been evoked already in the Scriptures, in particular through Isaiah’s prophecy of the suffering servant. There is a power of utter surrender to God’s will, that will always amaze the world. 
The world is looking up to the crushing powers, while the Father is showing his simple and creative power. The crushing power, which works with swords and clubs, will not last, the one who lives by the sword will also perish by the sword. The creative power of love, like a little plant that can split a wall as it grows, will simply show its strength through time and will be the one that lasts forever. Eternal life is not related to sword but to love. The way of the sword is to cut down life, the way of divine love is to create life. As you learn to let our love flow in you and through you, as you are strengthened in your identity of a child of the Father, this creative power will radiate in all you are through the Holy Spirit. You will then be able to follow my path, and even face betrayal and adversity with my peace and calm, knowing that beyond all this there is eternal life. Beyond all this the sword will lose and our love will win. That was the case with me, that will be the case for each of my disciples. 

They all left him, and fled. A certain young man followed him, having a linen cloth thrown around himself, over his naked body. The young men grabbed him, but he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked. (14:50-52)

My disciples did not understand what happened. They were ready to fight, but they were not yet ready to surrender with me. For them to learn the value of such surrender, they had first to discover the power of creative love, the power of resurrection. They would learn this key lesson only after my own resurrection. 
In bewilderment and in shock, my dear disciples fled. As they fled, they left me alone. Yet, I was not alone, the Father was still with me. It was them who were now alone, who had lost their fellowship with me and with the Father who was within me.  It was like if they were leaving behind them the mantle of the Father’s grace. One of them even left his linen cloth behind, fleeing naked. 
In your own life, you will sometimes be tempted to leave me behind, to refuse to follow me because you see a valley of dark shadows. If you do so, you will lose your protection, my protection. Like my disciples you will then be alone and go through struggles. The safest place for you is always to follow my loving guidance. Sometimes you will go through challenges, but if you go in response to my direction we will be at your side and give you strength. Even in my arrest and trial, the Father gave me the strength, up to the last minute. It was not easy, it was painful, but think about the many fruits which came out of it, think about the wonders of the Father’s love that sprout out of this dark day. 

There is no greater love than to give your live for those you love. Remember that the creative power of love will ultimately overthrow the destructive power of the sword. This was true in my life, this will be true in your life. Learn well this lesson, and my peace will remain in you even when you face darkness and violence. I have overcome the world and its violence, trust in me and follow me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment