Translate

Monday, May 4, 2015

Don’t Try to Figure Out a Date, but Rather Watch and Pray (Mark 13:28-37)


Now from the fig tree, learn this parable. When the branch has now become tender, and produces its leaves, you know that the summer is near; even so you also, when you see these things coming to pass, know that it is near, at the doors. Most certainly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things happen. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. 
But of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Watch, keep alert, and pray; for you don’t know when the time is. “It is like a man, traveling to another country, having left his house, and given authority to his servants, and to each one his work, and also commanded the doorkeeper to keep watch. Watch therefore, for you don’t know when the lord of the house is coming, whether at evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning; lest coming suddenly he might find you sleeping. What I tell you, I tell all: Watch.”(13:28-37) 

The events I described were not a method for finding the right date, either for the destruction of the temple or for my return. It was a way for me to prepare my disciples to the coming suffering. Often, they thought that being with me would protect them from harm. In some ways it is the case, since each of my disciple learns to welcome eternal life as they abide in me and I in them. Yet, this eternal life does not mean that you will not face suffering in your present world. I am the life and the truth, yet they humiliated me and crucified me. My death was not an end, but just a passage, leading me to the resurrection. It will be the same for each of my disciples. As you see wars and violence around you, don’t focus on that but trust me, follow my direction and you will see my victory happen in your life. I gave my life to release you from the curse of sin and death. Even if you have to go through physical death, don’t go away from me but trust me, and I will see you through, death will no more be a curse but only a passage to resurrection and to a blessed eternal fellowship. 
So many have spent their days to try to find out the specific time of my return, without realizing that I was inviting them to keep focusing on me and not on the world, to keep in deep communion with me, to keep watch and remain alert to my presence in them and with them. I am your security, I am the door to eternal life. With the Father we are your fortress and your rock. Do not be deceived by the temptation to spend much time analyzing the present events. The image I gave, with the fig tree, was pretty simple. Therefore, don’t lose time in complex analyses that keep your spirit dry and lead you away from my presence. Salvation is not found in a complex knowledge. Salvation is in me, my name (Jesus) means God saves, remain in me and I in you, and you will receive the crown of life, you will rejoice with the elect, with all those who have welcomed my life in them. 
I never encouraged my disciples to spend their time analyzing world events, I simply told them to watch and pray. It is a shame for me to see all these books that detract from prayer, that invite people to be engrossed with theories about my return, like if I was no more present in your world. Yet, I told my disciples that I would be accessible always, that my presence would be with my disciples until the end of the age (see Mat 28:20). It is true, my physical return, my second coming, has not yet come. Still, remember that what is important is for you to remain in prayer, to learn to develop this constant fellowship and intimacy with me. Watch and pray. 
I did not say: ‘analyze and think,’ but ‘watch and pray.’ To watch and pray means that you stay spiritually awake, that you learn to remain filled with the Holy Spirit, that you speak with me and listen to me. It is only in fellowship with us that your intellectual capacities are used to their full potential. Without us, these intellectual capacities become futile and can lead you to pride and foolishness. If you would see all the numerous theories about my return that have been designed by men since my first coming on earth, you would be amazed that people have not yet learned the lesson about this futility, and that they are still looking for the next foolish theory about my return. The fact that I said that nobody knew about the date of my return, except the Father, does not bother them. They wrongfully make of the sign of the fig tree an encouragement for developing theories about the date of my return. Don’t spend time in these useless and spiritually drying attempts. Come to me and I will give you a real rest. Learn to pray, to share with me and to listen to me. 
I clearly explained that there is no way for you to know for sure about the date of my return, so you simply have to learn to remain in my presence, to let the Holy Spirit fill you and guide you to me. I am the way, and the truth, and the life. Stay spiritually awake, develop this joyful intimacy with me, and rejoice to know that this is your only security in this world. I am your fortress. Don’t seek fortresses of theories that get swiped away by time, but seek our fortress of peace and love, my presence and fellowship. The focus should not be on dry theories, but on the warm fellowship with me and with your fellow believers. Learn to be my disciple, learn to let our love transform you and those around you. Learn to love God and love your neighbor, this should be the focus of your days, and will be the best preparation for my return and for heavenly life. 

What I told my disciples when I was there, I repeat to you today: keep watch and pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment