Translate

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

His Sacrifice Opened the Way to the Father (Mark 15:33-41)


When the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. At the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is, being interpreted, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (15:33-34)

It was a painful hour, it was a dark hour, yet the Father never abandoned me, even in the middle of this darkness. Do not forget that in the temple, the place where the Father would speak was behind the veil, in the Holy of Holies, the most sacred place in the temple, and there was no light that penetrated this part. The darkest part of the temple where the place where God’s presence was the strongest. We would speak to the high priest there, in the midst of this darkness. 
Do not confuse physical darkness and spiritual darkness. If there was physical darkness at the moment of my death, it was never a separation of the Father. 
Did I suffer heavily, yes. Did if feel alone, yes. Did I believe that I was alone: NO. When I cried out, I could completely embody the prayer and prophecy that David wrote in Psalm 22. I did suffer and felt forsaken. Yet, in the midst of it the presence of the Father was very strong. Through my sacrifice I carried the sin of the world, something that would open the doors of heaven. I offered the perfect sacrifice, like a spotless lamb. I was the perfect sacrifice, and also the high priest according to the order of Melchizedek. 

Some of those who stood by, when they heard it, said, “Behold, he is calling Elijah.” One ran, and filling a sponge full of vinegar, put it on a reed, and gave it to him to drink, saying, “Let him be. Let’s see whether Elijah comes to take him down.” (15:35-36)

People continued to mock me up to the last moment, joking about my authority while I was in the midst of the greatest manifestation of this authority. That was the purest expression of my role as Messiah, as the Lamb of God who removes the sin of the world. Often, people don’t understand when you do the will of the Father. Specially if this does not look good in the eyes of the world. Yet, it is not what looks good that transforms the world. We don’t seek impressive actions but heart obedience. My acceptance and obedience to the Father, even on the cross, is a key part of the path that I opened for my disciples. Listening to us and following our direction is the foundation of discipleship. Reading the accounts of my life and the other books in the Scripture are a key part in learning to recognize our voice and to listen to me. Through the Holy Spirit we want you to develop this living fellowship with us, so that you will be able to walk with me, to talk with me, to live in me and I in you. In this way, you will be able to discern what we want you to do, and to distinguish clearly the expectations of the world from our expectations. You cannot follow both God and the world, you have to choose. Sometimes, even when you do our will, specially when you do our will, the world will mock you and try to pull you away from our path of love. 

Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and gave up the spirit. The veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom. When the centurion, who stood by opposite him, saw that he cried out like this and breathed his last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!” (15:37-39)

As I gave up the Spirit, as I died on the cross, the Father broke the wall of division, the separation between Him and the world. Sin had created a wall between us and humanity, from Adam and Eve to my death on the cross. Through my perfect sacrifice, this veil of separation was torn from top to bottom. The Father opened through me the Way to His love. Through my death on the cross, I could attract all to me, all those who wanted to come to God. Through my sacrifice, they would receive forgiveness for their sins, so that they could hear again God speak to them and follow my path to the Father. They could receive eternal life through me, and welcome the truth that by trusting in me, by trusting my guidance, by following me they were forgiven. I am really the way to the Father, the door to eternal life, the truth of God’s love for the world. 
Even the separation between Jews and Gentiles would be torn down. This Gentile centurion could witness that I was the Son of God. I came for this purpose, for destroying the wall between God and humanity, and the wall between humans. The first testimony of my victorious sacrifice was from a Gentile. I did not come only for my people, Israel, but I came also for my other sheep, for the Gentiles. I came for all humanity, to open a path of God’s love to all those would would believe in me, who would trust in me and follow me. Whoever believes in me has eternal life, but whoever does not obey me - who does not follow me - will not see life and will not receive forgiveness of sins, the wrath of God will remain on him. 

There were also women watching from afar, among whom were both Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome; who, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and served him; and many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem. (15:40-41)

Not many of the twelve were at the foot of the cross. There was a non-Jew, a centurion who confessed that I was the Son of God. There were also Jewish women, who were my disciples. They were with me up to the end, and would accompany me even for my burial, and become the first witnesses of my resurrection. They followed me, served me, and were at my side when I breathed my last on the cross. 

Like these women, will you stay with me when things get tough, will you accept that being a Christian does not always look impressive? It is easy to profess your faith in me when everyone around you is saying the same. It is something else when the others are indifferent, mock my message or become violent. What will you do? Have you learned to remain with me, to choose my love and not the approval of the world? When you do so, my blood will cover your sins and by trusting in me you learn to walk in the path of righteousness. The veil of separation is then torn from top to bottom and the eternal life of God will flow in you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment