Translate

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Preparing for the return of Christ (Mark 13:14-27)


But when you see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let him who is on the housetop not go down, nor enter in, to take anything out of his house. Let him who is in the field not return back to take his cloak. But woe to those who are with child and to those who nurse babies in those days! Pray that your flight won’t be in the winter. For in those days there will be oppression, such as there has not been the like from the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never will be. Unless the Lord had shortened the days, no flesh would have been saved; but for the sake of the chosen ones, whom he picked out, he shortened the days. (13:14-20)

In the decades following my death, I wanted to prepare my disciples for the destruction of Jerusalem and of the temple. They had to become temples of the Holy Spirit themselves as I was a temple, and the physical temple of Jerusalem would no more be the center for worship. The worshippers that the Father was preparing through my ministry and through the Holy Spirit where persons who would worship in spirit and in truth, people who would become temples of the Holy Spirit and who would listen to me - the way, the truth and the life. Through this teaching, through the announcement of the destruction of the temple and of Jerusalem, I could help my disciples to be ready to leave Jerusalem and spread the Gospel in many places. 
I want to prepare my disciples when persecutions come, like in your days for many of the Christians in the Middle-East, in Irak, Syria, Iran and in many other places. For some, being a Christian is rather comfortable, for others it implies many sacrifices than sometimes lead to death. Don’t forget to pray, to intercede for my disciples who are persecuted. Pray that they find my peace and comfort in the midst of trials, that they find relief and help, that they listen to me more than fear, that they come to me when they are burdened and heavy laden. Play your part, as a member of my body, listen to me as I guide you to carry my hope, whether it is to intercede or to support some of your persecuted brothers and sisters in me. I want my church to learn to be my body on earth, taking care of the suffering members in a loving way. 

Then if anyone tells you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ don’t believe it. For there will arise false christs and false prophets, and will show signs and wonders, that they may lead astray, if possible, even the chosen ones. But you watch. “Behold, I have told you all things beforehand. But in those days, after that oppression, the sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, the stars will be falling from the sky, and the powers that are in the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. Then he will send out his angels, and will gather together his chosen ones from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the sky. (13:21-27)

Not only did I want to prepare my disciples for the destruction of the temple and for the following persecutions, but I also wanted to prepare them for the moment when I would come for the final judgment, for my return on earth with the angels to judge the world. This has not come yet but is coming. This world is temporary, and it is a preparation for a new Jerusalem and a new earth. 
The best preparation for you is to learn to listen to my voice, to welcome the Holy Spirit to guide you. Meditate on Scriptures, let us speak to you through them and teach you to have fellowship with us. False christs have come, still more will come. Don’t focus on them, focus on the Father’s love. Learn to develop this intimacy with me, let the Holy Spirit dwell in you and guide you, so that you are not deceived. Watch, stay sensitive to my guidance, to the Holy spirit. Do not let the appearance of stability in your world lead you to spiritual slumber. 
Do not seek an intellectual preparation for my coming, by studying texts and authors pretending to know the date of when I am coming. Rather, prepare your heart through love and faith. Learn to let our love rule in your heart and lead you to love your neighbor. Let our loving presence in you guide you in all truth. Learn to grow in this love, in fellowship with brothers and sisters of my grace, to live and share the good news, the perfect deliverance that I bring. 
I did not come to offer a temporary mending for this broken world, but to save it. I did not come to give a short fix, but the only true release from sin, suffering and death. I came to bring a real hope, to offer a real path to eternal life, through my sacrifice and through the power of the Holy Spirit. 


Do not be satisfied by a superficial gospel of comfort, full of ideas and devoid of real love. Do not let my promises become like a mist that evaporates when you are busy. My gospel, the good news, is real. I promised my disciples that I would be with them always, to the end of the age. I promised that where two or three would be united in my name, I would be in their midst. Ask me to come meet you and have fellowship with you. I am at the door of your heart and knock. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the King of Kings. Receive my life in you, learn to develop this real fellowship with me, by the power of the Holy Spirit. I am the light of the world. By welcoming me in you, through fellowship with me, I enable you to become a light for this world. Shine of my love, bring my peace wherever you go. This world needs you to be one of disciples, one of the beacons of peace and love in your world, to prepare for facing suffering, and to prepare for my coming with the angels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment