Translate

Sunday, May 17, 2015

God’s Love Overcomes Suffering and Mockery (Mark 15:21-32)


They compelled one passing by, coming from the country, Simon of Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to go with them, that he might bear his cross. They brought him to the place called Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, “The place of a skull.” They offered him wine mixed with myrrh to drink, but he didn’t take it. (15:21-23)

I was so weak, after being flogged and beaten, that I could not bear the cross alone. Simon of Cyrene came and carried it with me. Even me, the Son of God, I needed help in this time of pain. The Father sent to me Simon, who helped me. I knew what the Father wanted me to do, it is just that I needed some help to finish His work, and He gave me a helper. 
In the same way, you will have your moments of pain and weakness, and you will need help. Don’t be so proud to deny help, but ask us to provide the help you need, with faith and humility. As you continue on the path of our love, as your faith is not only an abstract idea but a humble obedience to my loving direction, we will be with you. Sometimes, we will send angels, like the angel the Father sent to support me during the evening at Gethsemane. Sometimes we will send persons like Simon of Cyrene who carried the cross when I could no more carry. Whatever the weight you carry, as you follow my voice the Father will give you the strength and help to succeed. Sometimes, this success will look like a failure in the eyes of the world, but in the end love will prevail. 
The place where I was crucified was the place of the skull, where death was supposed to take place. They offered me wine to numb my senses and diminish the suffering, but I did not take it. I wanted to be conscious and aware to remain in the path of my Father up to the end. I knew that I still had words to say, a path to open, and I needed to be fully awake. I needed all my energy to remain in the Father and the Father in me. Yes, the Father did not abandon me, he continued to shepherd me, so that even in this dark valley of pain I did not fear evil because He was with me. I was there to open a path that my disciples could follow after me. 

Crucifying him, they parted his garments among them, casting lots on them, what each should take. It was the third hour, and they crucified him. The superscription of his accusation was written over him, “THE KING OF THE JEWS.” (15:24-26)

The Father had prepared everything, for the path of love to be opened, for the power of death to be crushed. This was of such importance that he gave details of what would happen already in the time of David, a thousand years before, that you can read about in Psalm 22. The soldiers considered me as an object, and they cast lots to decide who would take my humble garments. In the midst of this time of weakness and shame, they could still sense the perfume that had been poured on me by this dear woman. In my humiliation, this perfume of dignity was still with me and I could smell it. They put a sign on the cross, stating that I was the king of the Jews. Pilate did it partly because he wanted to shame those who dared to force him to crucify me, partly because he saw in me a kingly authority that he had never seen before. Even in the middle of this torment, the Father was using everything to glorify His name, to prepare and open the path of life to many. 

 With him they crucified two robbers; one on his right hand, and one on his left. The Scripture was fulfilled, which says, “He was numbered with transgressors.” (15:27-28)

I was arrested as if I were a robber, and I was crucified between two robbers. One robber despised me, the other implored for my help. One despaired and mocked, the other believed that my kingdom was not from this world and asked for mercy. Because of his faith he joined me in heaven just after our death. I knew what was happening and I was not losing sight on the Father, so that all my words would carry hope and life, so that all my gestures would prepare for the coming victory to spread in many hearts. 

Those who passed by blasphemed him, wagging their heads, and saying, “Ha! You who destroy the temple, and build it in three days, save yourself, and come down from the cross!” Likewise, also the chief priests mocking among themselves with the scribes said, “He saved others. He can’t save himself. Let the Christ, the King of Israel, now come down from the cross, that we may see and believe him.” Those who were crucified with him also insulted him. (15:29-32)

For those who despised me, this was a time for bragging and mockery. That was their moment of superficial victory. Yet, their very words would be come their shame. I did not fight to vindicate my life, the Father fought for me. Their very words of blaspheme prepared the Father to show his glory at the resurrection, three days later. I was the temple where the Father dwelt, and not in a building of stone. I was the one to be rebuild in three days. For this to happen, the path was not a path of self-centeredness in which I would impress people by coming down from the cross. This cross was too important, I needed to be lifted up so that I could later attract all to me. This was my ultimate pulpit, from which the Father wanted me to preach my most important message, I was not going to leave it before the message of the Father’s love would be delivered fully. I did not let the insults and mockery creep into my heart, it was too important a moment. The Father was in me, as I was in him. 
I came to show the path, to be the way, so that others would find peace even in the midst of atrocious pain. If I could remain in the Father, you will be able to remain in me and I in you whatever you go through. You will be able to see my glory even if pain and shame surrounds you and try to stone every hope in you. This was the case for Stephen and for many of the dear children of the Father who are killed for their trust in me. This is not only an instance of the past, but a reality for today. Learn to humbly remain in me and I in you, so that no pain or shame will gain victory. I am interceding for each of the dear ones of the Father, particularly when their crosses are too heavy, when the violence and shame crushes them. 
I did not come to bring a message of violence and hatred, I came to bring the message of the Father’s love. This message means that you learn to love and to give your life for those you love. This message needed to be clear, and the cross made it clear. Nothing will separate you from our love, even a cross, and my victory is not reached in pride and harshness but in humility and faith. The power of my love will still shake and overturn empires, we simply need little ones to let this love shine in their hearts. 

Are you ready to learn to listen to my voice, to learn to know me and to follow me, even when shame is poured on you? Are you ready for both glory and suffering? I will never leave you. Do you want to let go of your unreal ideas about an easy path to heaven, and welcome the real path of love? If they persecuted the master, they will also persecute my disciples. If they remembered my words and actions, they will also remember yours. If you want eternal life, listen to me and let me guide you in our tender love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment