Translate

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sowing Seeds of Love and Compassion (Mark 15:42-47)

Joseph of Arimathea Buries Jesus
When evening had now come, because it was the Preparation Day, that is, the day before the Sabbath, Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent council member who also himself was looking for God’s Kingdom, came. He boldly went in to Pilate, and asked for Jesus’ body. Pilate marveled if he were already dead; and summoning the centurion, he asked him whether he had been dead long. When he found out from the centurion, he granted the body to Joseph. He bought a linen cloth, and taking him down, wound him in the linen cloth, and laid him in a tomb which had been cut out of a rock. He rolled a stone against the door of the tomb. Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of Joses, saw where he was laid. (15:42-47)

There was not much glory in this gesture. It was a humble gesture of compassion. Joseph of Arimathea was looking for God’s kingdom, and was touched by my teaching. He became one of my disciples, although not openly during my life. Yet, even if he did not speak openly before, he was bold enough to ask for my body and for burying me. He had nothing to gain from this action. It was not self-centered. He was manifesting love and compassion for me, even if he did not believe yet that I would resurrect. He put me in the tomb which was supposed to become his tomb. He was burying hope, and yet this hope would resurrect. He was giving me his burial place, yet he would soon receive through me eternal life. 
Joseph knew that his action would attract the scorn of many of the members of the council, yet he took the risk and asked Pilate for the body. He did not look at how people would consider him, but he let his love for me and for my message guide his actions. The day he did this, he needed courage and humility. After my resurrection, his action attracted much respect and esteem from the growing community of my disciples. Today, his name has become respected and esteemed in many countries of the world. The one who sows with tears will reap with joy. If you learn to follow the direction of my love, even when it is painful and when it attracts shame, you will reap fruits of honor and glory. It is very important to distinguish the glory of men and the glory of God. When you act for the glory of God, sometimes you will go through pains and humiliations, but in the long run you will receive the glory of God, and for some like Joseph even the honor of men. 
The one who honors me before men, I will honor before my Father and the holy angels. The one who rejects me before men, I will reject. 

A simple action like Joseph’s compassionate act for my burial, became the most renowned act of his  whole life. In the same way, remember that what will be remembered of you is not easy to know in advance. The best you can do is to sow with me love and compassion in this world, and you will reap a harvest of blessings for you and for others. This is a key feature of the kingdom of heaven. Sowing even a tiny grain of mustard seed of faith and obedient love can bring many fruits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment