Translate

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Facing Suffering with Patience and Hope (Mark 13:3-8)


As he sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked him privately, “Tell us, when will these things be? What is the sign that these things are all about to be fulfilled?
Jesus, answering, began to tell them, “Be careful that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and will lead many astray. “When you hear of wars and rumors of war, don’t be troubled. For those must happen, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places. There will be famines and troubles. These things are the beginning of birth pains. (13:3-8)

My disciples wanted to know when the temple would be destroyed. They were looking for dates and signs, but I was looking for disciples. They wanted to know when this would happen, but I wanted to lead them on how to prepare for difficulties. My purpose was not to tell them the future, but to prepare them to face challenges as my disciples, how to face suffering without breaking the relationship with me and the Father. I was preparing myself to suffer on the cross, and I wanted them to find reassurance even in the midst of the coming pains. 
For the disciples, the temple looked as the most stable thing in their world. To know that such a stable landmark could disappear was unsettling and troubling to them. I spoke to them of the coming pains, associating them with birth pains. This association was important, because when you face suffering you can lose the sense that it will end and that some good can come out of it. Making a parallel between the destruction of the temple and birth pains was a way to help my disciples to recognize that even this painful event would be a step on their journey as disciples, and that good things would come out of it. 
For you today, you can learn from this that you should not focus on dates and certainties, but on faithfulness and hope. Learn to walk with me even if there are shadows and death looming around. Wars and violence are part of this sinful world, they have been and will be there until I return with the angels, for the judgment of each person. The temple is destroyed, yet some of the landmarks that you consider as stable will be shaken or destroyed in the coming years, this has been the case for the last centuries and you should not be surprised. In the midst of this instability and suffering, we continue to prepare a people dedicated to us, who learns to love and to shine the light of the gospel to many. 
As you walk with me, learn to see the struggles and sufferings you face with our point of view. If suffering is a result of your sin, repent and we will help you handle the consequences of this sin in a rightful way. If you faithfully follow our path of pure love, and that on this journey you face instability and fear, I will teach you to rest in me and to see these sufferings as birth pains that you have to go through. The key in all that is to focus on us, to speak with me and to follow my guidance, to let us lead you through Scriptures to know how to face your present situation. As much as possible, keep fellowship with other brothers and sisters in the Church, together you will be stronger in me. 
Remember that you don’t belong to this world in its focus on earthly matters, and that you are a child of God, called to eternity. Walk with us and prepare to live this eternal life of love and peace through fellowship with me. Learn to focus on what is really important, even when times get tough. Do not let people trick you with lies of false security, learn to recognize my voice and to stay with me. As your shepherd I will help you not to be seduced and deceived by the wolves that are in your world. Keep your focus on hope and love, keep your eyes on me, and you will receive the crown prepared for our faithful ones. 

Remember that when you remain in me and I in you, your suffering will become birth pains, preparing for the birth of good things for you and for others, even if you don't see them first. As Paul rightly said, for those who love God all things work together for good. Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 8:28, 12:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment