Translate

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Who Is the Messiah? (Mark 12:35-37)


Jesus responded, as he taught in the temple, “How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David? For David himself said in the Holy Spirit, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies the footstool of your feet.”’ Therefore David himself calls him Lord, so how can he be his son?
The large crowd heard him gladly. (12:34-37)

As the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem tried to trap me in my words, I also wanted to show them the limitations of their understanding. When people repeat the same things, they are convinced that they are right, yet this can be an illusion. With the scribes, they thought that they knew well which texts were speaking of the Messiah, like this text from Psalm 110. They also stressed that the Messiah was the son of David. The problem is that David was speaking in Psalm 110 of a Lord, not of a son. This was just one way to show that their theory was fragile, that they did not know clearly who the Messiah would be. 
It was important for me to open people to the fact that they did not know well who would be the Messiah, and what would be his purpose, because they had many false expectations. One of the things people could not imagine is that the Messiah would die, and die shamefully on a cross. Their idea of a Messiah, even in the case of my close disciples, did not make room for that. This was a shocking surprise for Peter and all the others, and my imprisonment and crucifixion became a stumbling block for many. When people follow a leader, they expect that he will protect them well. They never thought that the type of protection I would offer was not for an easy life on earth, but for an eternal life with us. The cross was such a shock for all, my cross and the cross I would invite my disciples to carry as they follow me. 

In light of this passage, remember that it is not only in analyzing texts, like the scribes did then, that you will build a good image of who I am and how I minister. That was the mistake of the Jewish leaders then. This is still the mistake of many Jewish or Christian leaders today. It is only in fellowship with me that you will be weaned from your misunderstandings concerning my ministry and how I want you to follow me. Ask the Holy Spirit to dwell in you and to teach you. Ask me to explain to you. With the Holy Spirit, we will lead you to the Father of love, to eternal life in us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment