Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Commandment to Listen to Jesus (Mark 9:1-13)

The Transfiguration of Jesus

And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power.” And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became radiant, intensely white, and no one on earth could bleach them. And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. (9:1-4)

Through this revelation, Peter, James, and John could witness the kingdom of God coming with power through me. They did not understand, and would need time to process what happened. After speaking to them about my death, it was important for them to see how real was the kingdom that I was bringing. The Father asks me to be the King of kings, Lord of Lords, with Him and the Holy Spirit. 
My kingdom is real, it is the kingdom of heaven, and it was the focus of all my ministry on earth. I started by proclaiming that the kingdom was near, and here I demonstrated to a few key disciples how real and powerful was this kingdom. The alternation of revelations about my suffering and death on one side, and the power of kingdom on the other, was intentional. This helped to prepare my disciples for my death and resurrection, for the way of the cross in the power of the kingdom. People often think that power will avoid suffering, or that suffering is a failure. I came to teach that the kingdom of heaven is first and foremost rooted in love, and that love demonstrates how suffering and power can be two complementary facets in your world. 
In this world, you will have to suffer, because of sin. For many it is difficult to move away from hardened hearts of dead power to loving hearts of humble love. In order to proclaim efficiently my coming kingdom, you have to accept that I don’t use human weapons of death but spiritual weapons of life, and that my kingdom is not built on violence and war. My kingdom is built on love and sacrifice, I have shown the way to follow. Yet, many people have a hard time to see that accepting to suffer is not a sign of weakness. This was the case during my life, this is still the case today. 
I appeared in shining clothes, with Elijah and Moses. They rejoiced to be at my side for a while. We discussed of the accomplishment of my task through my crucifixion and resurrection in Jerusalem. They were rejoicing of seeing what they had awaited for so long, for the Holy Spirit to be welcomed by many, for the love of the Father to spread in many hearts. 

And Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good that we are here. Let us make three tents, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” For he did not know what to say, for they were terrified. And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is my beloved Son; listen to him.” (9:5-7)

Peter saw in me a revelation that was very different from the worldly Messiah he had thought would come. It puzzled him for a long time, and with the others they were afraid to die when they saw me transfigured. They realized that God was revealing himself through me, and they feared for their life. For people to be able to come close to God without dying, they need to be purified, so that they are not consumed. That is why I came, that is why I sent the Holy Spirit, to prepare people to come close to God, to become able to love God with all their heart, soul and strength. 
When the Father spoke, his message was extremely simple: “This is my beloved Son; listen to him.” With these simple words he stressed that I am really who I said I am, that God is really my Father, that I am really the Son of God. Yet, the most important part is forgotten by many Christians, the Father said: “listen to him.” It was true then and has always been true, my disciples hear my voice and follow me. The Father did not say to read the texts speaking about me, although this is also important, but he said: “listen to him.” 
I even told my disciples after my resurrection that I would be with them until the end of the age, yet most people don’t believe my words. If I am with you, it is to speak with you. I also said: “where two or three are united in my name, I am in the midst of them.” This means that I want a real relationship with each of my disciples. You are in a world of theories, of abstract theology that often miss the simplicity of my good news. My good news is that God is with you, that I came to deliver you from this separation from God. What better sign of this deliverance than the ability to dialogue with me, to dialogue with the Father? How can you have a deep and loving relationship with someone if you don’t hear the person speak to you? How strange that people try to love me without learning to listen to me. The one who really loves me is the one who listens to me and obeys to what I say. 
The biblical text is an excellent starting point to encounter me and to listen to me, yet if you fall short of a real relationship with me, you can end up making many theories on the ground of a few verses. Some said that the Scriptures are my cradle. It is nice, because I was a baby for a time. Yet, I am no more a baby. I am the lion of Judah and I want to lead my disciples in all they say and all they do, like an army united through my love which will crush darkness and bring God’s mercy and grace to shine and rule in many places on earth. A written text will never be sufficient to allow that. The Scriptures are an invitation to listen to me, to listen to the Father. It takes a step of faith to ask and listen to me, to speak and hear me in your heart. Yet, without this step of faith, the message of the kingdom becomes diluted and without much use. I did not come to make people nice, I came to bring a holy transformation that shakes this world. I came to manifest a love that casts out darkness and brings the light of the Father. I am the Word of God, I am still speaking today. The key message of the Father was: listen to him. Many people forget that the Father did not say that I am the Scripture of God. He did not ask to read but to listen. I am the Word of God. There is a major difference between reading and listening to a person. Reading can still allow control of what you read. Listening invites relationship and obedience, depending on me in all you do. I depended on the Father for all I said and all I did. I am the Word of God, and I want to teach my disciples to listen to me. Yet, I cannot force them and lead them without them choosing to really depend on me and on my voice. As the Father said a long time ago, he wants to tell you today: listen to our voice, listen to me. Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and it will be opened to you. If you parents who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him. And the Holy Spirit will remind you all I said, will help you to hear all I say, and will teach you all things. 

And suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone with them but Jesus only. And as they were coming down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what they had seen, until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. So they kept the matter to themselves, questioning what this rising from the dead might mean. (9:8-10)

As this vision disappeared, I told them to keep silent on what they saw. This revelation would help them prepare for my death and resurrection, although they did not see yet the big picture of my mission on earth. They had not experienced someone coming from the death back to life, so I could not blame them for not understanding yet what a real rising from the dead might mean. 

And they asked him, “Why do the scribes say that first Elijah must come?” And he said to them, “Elijah does come first to restore all things. And how is it written of the Son of Man that he should suffer many things and be treated with contempt? But I tell you that Elijah has come, and they did to him whatever they pleased, as it is written of him.” (9:11-13)

For my disciples, what was the closest to this idea of resurrection was the teaching that Elijah would come first to restore all things. This had some truth in it, because John the Baptist came with a message similar to the message of Elijah, a message of repentance, to bring back the hearts of the fathers to their children and the heart of the children to their fathers. Yet, this did not mean that Elijah would resurrect. First of all, Elijah was not dead, as they could witness in my dialogue with him and Moses. I just pointed them to John as the one who came in the authority of Elijah, and that instead of resurrection Herod killed him. I then tried to bring them back to what was key: the fact that I would suffer many things and be treated with contempt. Since a disciple is not greater than his master, I knew that it was not something that they wanted to hear. If I would suffer, it implied that they would also suffer. Before speaking of resurrection, they needed to acknowledge the journey through suffering that I was going to face, the journey that they would also have to face. 
Still today, many of my disciples are ready to rejoice of my resurrection, but don’t want to deny themselves and carry their cross. They don’t want to acknowledge that by following my voice and learning to love as I love, that would still imply some suffering in your world. Yet, take heart because I have conquered death, and as you learn to follow me you will participate in my victory. Do not focus on suffering, focus on me and on my love. Pray for each other, heal the sick and cast out demons. Proclaim my kingdom through your words and through your actions. Don’t let the burdens of this world crush you. Learn from me, for I am humble and meek, I will teach you the love of the Father. Open the eyes of your heart to what I want you to do every day, open the ears of your heart to my voice. I will then lead you as my dear sheep, as one of the precious children of the Father. No one will snatch you out of our hand, in us you will find the refuge and strength that you need, you will find purpose and joy in all the days of your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment