Translate

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Jesus Heals a Paralytic (Mark 2:1-12)

And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. And many were gathered together, so that there was no more room, not even at the door. And he was preaching the word to them. (2:1-2)

As you can see, my desire was to lead people in the ways of the kingdom, to preach to them the kingdom of the Father. Healing was one of the signs of His coming kingdom, yet it was very important that I could teach those who came. 
The deliverance that comes with the kingdom is not only physical, the Father wants to deliver from everything that oppresses humanity, at the level of their body as well as their souls and spirits. When people find deliverance and freedom at the spiritual level, this has a direct impact on their souls and bodies. This full deliverance is the center or my message, the Gospel or 'Good News.'

And they came, bringing to him a paralytic carried by four men. And when they could not get near him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him, and when they had made an opening, they let down the bed on which the paralytic lay. (2:3-4)

What delighted me is to see how these men found a way to bring their friend to me, even when there seemed to be no way. they cared for him, they loved him, and were ready to look foolish for him; that is the kind of love I delight in. This love breeds faith and hope, this kind of love opens the doors of heaven. 

And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, you sins are forgiven.” Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, “Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” (2:5-7)

The love of his friends brought them to believe and hope that I would heal him. They saw only the tip of the iceberg, they thought that the only problem of their friend was paralysis. They did not realize that his sins were at the root of his physical problem. This is not always the case, there is no magical formula to discern the origin of a disease. It is by learning to listen to the Father that I could discern that. In the same way, I want to teach each of the children of the Father to listen to me, to show them how to pray for people. It is only in communion with me, as you listen to my voice and to what I show you through the Holy Spirit that you will be able to learn how to pray efficiently for people and see the wonders of the Father’s grace unfold with simplicity and joy. 
Here, the Father helped me to discern that this man had sins that caused his sickness. I forgave him his sins, because of the faith of his friends. I did not come to judge, but to deliver all who came to believed in me, who came to trust the Father’s love in me. Out of love, I prayed for this man to have his greatest problem removed. With the authority that the Father gave me, I forgave this child of the Father. 
These simple words, “Your sins are forgiven” would become a foundation of my ministry, as well as the source of the opposition of many Jewish leaders of this time. You have to understand them before condemning them. They were trained to think that the only way to be forgiven was through the sacrifices at the temple. They did not understand that even the temple sacrifices were only a way to obey the love of the Father and to come through obedience and faith to receive forgiveness. The prophet Samuel already had stressed that the Father desires obedience more than sacrifices. If faith in the Father and obedience to His directions was key for receiving forgiveness, the temple sacrifices were not the only way to receive forgiveness. The scribes were right in stating that only God can forgive sins. They were wrong to think that God was not in me. The Father was in me, His Holy Spirit was in me. They thought that they knew, that God always works through the ways described in the Scriptures. It is true, God does not contradict himself, but he never said that forgiveness was only through the temple sacrifices. It is not the sacrifices that ensure forgiveness, it is the Father’s love. 
I came to open a new way, the perfect way to forgiveness, through the love of the Father in me. This way was opened during my ministry on earth, and was perfected through my sacrifice on the cross. This sacrifice was a sacrifice of love. God asked me to give my life out of love for the Father’s creation, for humanity. I not only obeyed my gracious Father, I chose to love with His love, to offer my life out of love for my disciples and for all humanity. Anyone who is trapped, oppressed in this life, can come to me in faith, and ask for forgiveness. As they welcome me as their guide, their Lord and savior, I rejoice to deliver them from any oppression or consequence of sin. My name itself, Jesus or Yeshoua, means ‘God delivers.’ I am the way to the Father, whoever believes in me will not perish but have eternal life. Notice here that what I mean by ‘believe’ is not theoretical, it means that people are invited to trust in me and to therefore follow my teachings. Faith is not only an abstract intellectual assent. Faith involves the heart and the will. This saving faith is powerful and shakes the very foundations of sin, as it did in the case of these four friends, and led me to forgive their friend for his sins. 

And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said to them, “Why do you question these things in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise, take up your bed and walk?’ But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins’ - he said to the paralytic - “I say to you, rise, pick up your bed, and go home.” And he rose and immediately picked up his bed and went out before them all, so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, “We never saw anything like this!” (2:8-12)

I did not come to humiliate the scribes, but I loved them and shared with them in a way they could understand. My teaching was so new, this authority to forgive sins that was coming in me and would come through me, that I helped them see how real were my words. They tended, like many still today, to put all their emphasis on the visible world, so I decided to show them in this visible world the fact that my words did carry the authority of the Father. 
In healing this paralytic, I did not want to show love only to this man, but also to honor the faith of his friends and to teach the scribes. Do not imagine that I was angry or aggressive with the scribes, I also came for those like them who analyze and think. What I expected from them was honesty and humility in their observations. This is what these scribes showed, and they were amazed with all the others and glorified God for what they saw. 
In your world, some have thought that I came violently against Judaism, this is simply not true. I came first for the lost sheep of Israel, and this was the main focus of my ministry, although I opened the love of the Father to all humans. I taught all those who were open to the Father’s teaching, from children to leaders like Nicodemus. The Father’s love for my people, the Jews, has never been cancelled, and the time is coming for Israel to welcome me as the path to the love of the Father. Do not despise or judge them, take example from me and see my love pour through you. 
Notice that, to follow my example, you will need first to have a living faith in me, and to imitate me in all the works the Father wants you to do, from healing the sick to casting out demons. I did not convince these scribes only with words, I needed the testimony of the Father through His works, through miracles, to convince them. It is the same in your world, miracles are not an option, they are an integral part of my ministry and should be an integral part of the service of all the children of the Father. Ask for God’s direction, and allow us to lead you. 

Our Love is practical. I did not come to bring a nice theory but to bring healing and deliverance to humanity, deliverance from sin and all its consequences. As you follow me, learn to do likewise, let me teach you and lead you in this domain. As you welcome my holy love, as you welcome the Holy Spirit, it will flow out of you like mighty waters of grace, and will touch many. I did not come only for intellectual assent, but for transformed lives. Even with intellectuals - like the scribes - I knew that they needed to see miracles, the works of the Father, to be convinced. This has not changed today. Don’t hide your lack of faith behind theories, I want to use you to be the hands and feet of our love, to show love in all you do and to let the Father’s love bring the miracles I did and even greater ones. It is not to be a subject of pride for you, it is the Father who wants so much to show His love to this world - and the way he chose to manifest his love is through His children. Learn to open your heart to this practical faith, follow my teachings in all the areas of your life. As you enter in this life of prayer and love, you will see our love manifest itself in miraculous ways, just because I love you, just because the Father loves you and wants to communicate His love through you to many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment