Translate

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Baptism of Jesus (Mark 1:9-11)


In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. (1:9)

It surprised many to think that I, the Son of God, would come to go through this baptism of repentance. Yet, my task was not to come as a master but to serve, to show the way of the servant. I needed, in all that I did on earth, to show the way others would be able to follow. One key element was to remind people that they needed this water baptism. I did not teach only with words, but also with what I did - as it was the case here. John was uneasy when I came, but I simply asked him to baptize me, and he did. 

And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.” (1:10-11)

In this key moment of my coming on earth, I received the witness of both the Holy spirit and of the Father. The Father expressed clearly His approval, and that he was well pleased with me in general - but also in particular concerning this step I took to be baptized. He rejoiced of the example of humility that I was setting before humans. I did not try to grasp my divinity and impress people, but I surrendered all my rights to the Father and followed fully his plan of love for all humanity and all His creation. 
The Holy Spirit came on me, which is an external expression of what was inside of me. Since my conception, the Spirit was in me. I could listen to the Father and follow His direction. Yet, I did not do any miracle or manifest myself in any special way, except perhaps that when I was twelve I did manifest my understanding of the Father at the temple. It was not a miracle but rather an expression of my intimacy with the Father. 

It is only at my baptism that the presence of the Holy Spirit in me and the approbation of the Father were manifested publicly. This is what the Father wants to do with every person who receives baptism now. We want them to follow my path of humility, and of receiving God as their Lord and Father. People discuss quite a bit about whether believers fully receive the Holy Spirit at the water baptism or later, at the baptism with the Holy Spirit. The key point for us is to show the way. It is true, most people will experience two different steps, a first one with the baptism of water, and a second one with the baptism with the Holy Spirit. Yet, people should focus more on the relationship with us than on perfect explanation. What we want is to teach people to become temples of the Holy Spirit. This requires a purification of the temple they are to be, before the Holy Spirit comes to fully dwell in them, yet the two are related. As they learn to become these temples of the Holy Spirit, of the Father’s love, they receive the approval and full love of the Father that proclaims to them and those with them: “This is my beloved child, in him/her I am well pleased”. The Father wants to see many learn to become temples of the perfect love of the Holy Spirit. It is not a technique, it is a grace and a blessing that is received in humility and in faith. Follow my path, enter in this joy of humility, this joy of the favor of the Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment