Translate

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Jesus Heals Many (Mark 1:29-34)

And immediately he left the synagogue and entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. Now Simon’s mother-in-law lay ill with a fever, and immediately they told him about her. And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve. (1:29-31)

It is out of love that the Father touched bodies and healed many. I received fully the love of the Father, and communicated it to those who were sick or oppressed by demons. Healing was not first a technique or a power, but rather an expression of the Father’s love for humanity. It is true, power was flowing through me in order to heal, yet this power was guided by love and compassion. When I saw the concern of Peter and Andrew, and when I saw that they hoped that I could be of help, I was touched and asked the Father to touch her body, which he did. As she realized that she received this gift of healing in her body, she responded out of love and humility, and she began to serve us. It is not that I was looking for someone to serve me, since I came to serve others first, yet I rejoiced of the attitude of her heart, of her desire to give, and I wanted to encourage her. 
I did not do, here or in any other of the stories of the Gospels, anything that others who believe in me and the Father would not be able to do. In fact, I came to show the example, how a human person can joyfully live a life surrendered to the love of the Father. Since I am interceding now in heaven, humans who believe in me can ask in my name and it will be done, for the glory of the Father. If there are not more miracles, it is not that it is not possible, it is that the love of many is cold, they are not at ease to let the Holy Spirit fully rule in them with the love of the Father. We want to bless and transform the creation, but for a person to experience this life of love and miracles, they have to let our love rule in them. As the love of God grows in the hearts, it spreads to others and miracles flow. This is and has always been the case. We invited humans already through Moses to love God with all their heart, soul and strength. Yet, people tend to forget how radical this is, how important this is. Once you resolutely enter in this path of love, and fully welcome my love that flows from the cross, as you become a temple of the Holy Spirit, you will see healings flow through you. You should not marvel about that, it is what I promised for any of my disciples, it should be a part of the ‘normal’ Christian life. Yet, this requires to welcome our love with faith. Will I find faith in the world when I come back? That is the real question. Learn to love and to bless others with our love. Expect miracles, ask for miracles or our love, and learn through a close communion with me. 

That evening at sundown they brought to him all who were sick or oppressed by demons. And the whole city was gathered together at the door. And he healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons. And he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him. (1:32-34)

When the persons noticed what was happening, that what seemed desperate had an answer, that someone could help them, many ran an brought their people who were sick or oppressed by demons. This is the miracle of love. When people realize that there is hope, it breaks the cycle of shame that made people hide their sick or oppressed relatives. They came with hope and faith. As this faith grew, they became willing to receive the love I could pour into their lives, and the Father could do many works through me. Many were healed, many demons were cast out, and joy filled many hearts. 

Did they understand that it was the love of the Father that was touching them? Not clearly. Don’t forget that miracles where first and foremost an expression of love, not a lesson of theology. Did this fit well with the plan of the Father? Of course. Can you put the love of the Father in a bottle? No. Good theology is about describing the many expressions of the love of the Father, not about limiting what God can and wants to do. Once this is clarified, humans can use their brains to their full potential without making of them idols that harm others. The Father is always one step in advance, and you are not supposed to tell Him what to do but rather to recognize and follow His move with humility and faith. Learn to experience continually the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, a continual communion with me - the Son of God, and the Father will lead you in the fields of His amazing love, for your greatest joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment