Translate

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Jesus Calls Levi (Mark 2:13-17)

He (Jesus) went out again beside the sea, and all the crowd was coming to him, and he was teaching them. And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him. (2:13-14)

I ministered many days in Capernaum, teaching and doing miracles. Levi had seen me before and saw the impact on the community. He had a stable position, although he was despised by many. His work as tax collector was a work provided by the Romans, and he was therefore perceived as a traitor who would request the hated Roman taxes from the Jews of Capernaum. 
When I called him, he was surprised that I did not despise him - me a Jewish teacher. In his heart he was ready for more of God, for being released from this position that brought him both wealth and shame. He had tasted fully both the blessing of money and the rejection of the community that resulted. 
Levi followed me simply. I did not call people at random, but followed the lead of the Father in calling Levi. I knew his heart, and he didn’t need more than my invitation to come and follow me. 

And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” (2:15-17)

Calling Levi was already shocking to the population of Capernaum. Going to eat in his house with other tax collectors and sinners was much worse. Many saw that as condoning the sins of these people. Their religious spirit was built on the idea that you don’t enter into contact with impure and sinful persons. My Father was calling me to do the opposite, to come to call sinners out of darkness, into the love of the Father. I did not become impure by going to eat at Levi’s house, but I could instead be an example of light and acceptance. It was very important for me to go there, to show the other guests that I did not judge them, but invited them to the life of the kingdom, to the Father’s love. 
For believers, it is so easy to make the same mistakes that the Pharisees did, living with other believers and not bringing the light of the Gospel where it is the most needed. In doing so, the salt loses its saltiness, the light in the believers grows dim, and the power of transformation that I came to bring to this world is lost. You cannot please both men and God. If you learn to follow the Father, to follow me, you will have to trust me when I lead you to dark places. Don’t go to a place without my guidance, don’t make a rule of going to dangerous settings. What I ask from you is to let my love rule in you, and accept to take the risks the Spirit leads you to take, to eat with sinners for instance. 
Some people try to do my work, to do the Father’s will, with their own strength. This has led many to try to remove poverty or deliver women from prostitution without the Gospel and very often with frustrating results. They do a work praise-worthy before men, yet they lack the power of love. It is only through me that you will move into darkness and remain unscathed, a holy light that brings healing. Follow my example. I had first learned to have in me the Holy Spirit that could heal through me, I had the love of the Father in me that could touch hearts and transform lives. Only God can forgive sin, and what sinners need is not simply a good advice, they need holy love and the power of forgiveness. Follow my example, carry the love of God in you through constant prayer, remain in me as I remain in you, and then follow my guidance to bring my Gospel to the persons I want you to bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment