Translate

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Seed of the Gospel Is Designed for the Transformation of Our World (Mark 4:30-34)

The Parable of the Mustard Seed (Mark 4:30-32)

And he said, “With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parables shall we use for it? It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when sown on the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth, yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes larger than all the garden plants and puts out large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.” (30-32)

You can notice a progression between these parables, from the sower to a growing seed to the small mustard seed. I spoke of the quality of the soil, of the power of life in the seed, and now of the difference between the smallness of the seed and the large size of the grown up plant.
As people welcome my teachings, my words, and as they welcome me, the Word of God, they welcome first what is like a tiny seed. Yet, in the good soil, this seed not only grows automatically, but its impact will be very large. In fact, it will touch all the areas of the life of those welcoming me as their Lord and Savior. This impact on the whole life of the person is not only for this person, but it will bless others, like the birds who can find shade and make their nests in the branches. As my word takes root in a life, it transforms this life and blesses others. The Gospel, the good news of the kingdom does not look impressive. It seems insignificant to many, yet, as it grows in a heart, it brings good fruits and blessings to many.
The fact that the mustard seed is tiny reminds you of the importance of faith, faith in the transforming power of the seed. My words are life, they bring life and healing to those who welcome them. This healing is for the bodies, for the soul and for the spirit. I came to show the way, to transform humanity.
This tiny seed, it was also me, the Word of God, and I would transform the world. I looked insignificant, yet the powerful love of God was at work in me and through me. I was despised and counted with the thieves. Yet, the Father demonstrated through my resurrection and through the church the many branches that would come, to bring this divine life and reconciliation with God to many.
Carry our words in this world, apply them in your heart and life. Become yourself a word from God, a word of life and holiness, a pure and powerful word of love. Like the seed, you will have to die to yourself in the process, in order to bring fruit. You will have to let the life in you be more important than any self-centered plan. As you do that, you will see the powerful transforming power of our love in you and through you. After having received me, the seed of love from the Father, after seeing the fruits of this love in your life, you are invited to become seed yourself. A small seed, an insignificant seed, yet a seed full of the power of love that can bring peace and joy to many.

Meaning of the parables (Mark 4:33-34)
With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it. He did not speak to them without a parable, but privately to his own disciples he explained everything. (4:33-34)

I did not want fast and shallow results, but deep and long lasting transformation. I did not want my words to be planted into a rocky soil, but in a good soil. The seed, when it is first planted, is not visible to the world, yet as it grows and appears above the ground it manifests clearly its effects to others. The small group of the twelve was like the good soil in which I planted my word. I explained everything to them, so that this transforming power of the Good News of the kingdom would take root. Then, they would bring into their lives the fruit of the Gospel and carry them to many others. 

Follow this example, speak with me often and ask me when you have questions, so that I can explain to you everything, so that the Good News takes root in your life and brings the Father’s life and love to many. As you grow as my disciple, as you learn to listen to me throughout your days, as you follow me wherever I lead you, you will bring many fruits. Through this fruitfulness the Father will be glorified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment