Translate

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Faith Is a Matter of Perspective (Mark 6:1-6)

Rejected at Nazareth (Mark 6:1-6)

He went away from there and came to his hometown, and his disciples followed him. And on the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get these things? What is the wisdom given to him? How are such mighty works done by his hands? Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him. (6:1-3)

Faith is a matter of perspective. The persons of Nazareth saw in me one of their own, who did live a peaceful and normal life for many years. They did not figure out how I could have changed, or even more precisely how they had missed that I was different from who they thought I was. Life is in the blood, and through my blood I was going to bring the perfect sacrifice for the sins of humanity. My blood relatives thought they knew me. Yet, when I did miracles, they took offense at me, reproaching me to do things they did not understand. 
Humans want to control their surroundings, to have the impression that they understand well what is around them. Yet, this is an illusion. There is more in a situation than what is visible. When my actions did not match with their narrow view of what was possible, they even took offense at the grace of God flowing through me. This was a manifestation of sin and self-centeredness. They wanted me to be like them, and not more than that. They had a box in which I was supposed to fit, and they became angry when I did not submit to these expectations. In a sinful humanity, the Father's grace has to break in almost like a thief, with violence. People are not ready to be challenged in their certitudes. Learn to accept this reality. If they did that to me, they will also do it to my disciples. The closer you come to me, the more you let the life of the Father flow in your blood, the less people will be able to control you. You cannot catch the wind in a box, it blows wherever it wills and you hear the sound it makes. It is the same for me and for my disciples as they let the Holy Spirit blow in them and guide them. 

And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household." And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them. And he marveled because of their unbelief. And he went about among the villages teaching. (6:4-6)

The narrow view of the people of my hometown, and even of my own family, limited greatly their hopes, and I could not show many of the Father's works. I could still heal a few sick people by laying my hands on them, but that's all. 
It was painful for me to realize that these persons that I loved, with whom I grew up, did not welcome the good that I was bringing. It was a pain that was preparing me for deeper pains, for rejection and judgment, for crucifixion and death. 
I was not a magician doing tricks, I came as a servant of the Father who let His love flow in me and through me to other people. Miracles were not secondary, they were an integral part of my ministry. I could then teach people about the meaning of these miracles and point the eyes and hearts of people toward God and His kingdom. 
The unbelief of people strongly limited the flow of love that the Father wanted to bring to them. Faith is like an open hand, welcoming the gifts of the heavenly Father. When the hand is closed, not many miracles happen. I therefore could only teach some, and I also knew that I needed to either move away or to find a path to break this unbelief. Since people thought that they knew me, I decided to send my disciples, who could do things in Nazareth or other places that I could not do. The time had come for me to invite my disciples to participate fully in my ministry, to be sent and to let their faith in the Father and His kingdom bring light to this world. 
Do not be surprised at the lack of faith of Nazareth. As you learn to become my disciple and see the Father's work through your faith, do not be surprised that many who think they know you will not accept this. In your world, many people accept easily Christianity as long as it does not challenge the idea that humans control their environment, mostly through science and technology. Through faith you will challenge that, and therefore break the control that people thought they had on reality. Don't expect that all will like you. As a matter of fact, many will reject miracles as manifestations of pride or as unnecessary. Just remember that to be Christlike is to be like me, and that the Father always supported my teachings on the kingdom with His works of grace. Expect that as you fully serve me. Pray for the Father's love to flow through you as it flowed through me. Accept that not all will welcome these rivers of the Father's love, and simply follow us as we lead you in our harvest fields. I would have loved to see my whole family welcome the Father's works through me, but I had to accept that it was not the case, at least during my life on earth. After my death and resurrection, many from my family came to believe in me, but it was not before the cross, not before the painful rejections. If they did that to the teacher, the student should prepare himself also. 
Trust in me, hope in me and accept that rejection from people you love can or will happen. Just remember to remain in my love, and to follow me as your shepherd. I have overcome the world, trust in my love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment